We are talking about a succulent plant that can grow up to a meter in height with mottled leaves that turns totally green with growth.
This plant, produced in Europe mainly in Spain and Greece, has medicinal properties recently scientifically proven, although they have been known for millennia.
The ancient Egyptians called it the plant of immortality and it is for this reason that they planted it at the entrance of the pyramids to show the Pharaohs the way to follow to the land of the dead. Its sap was also used in the preparation of balms for mummification.
Brought to Europe by Spanish missionaries, since the Middle Ages and the Renaissance, Aloe Vera was used for healing purposes.
- It purifies, detoxifies the body of toxins, promotes diuresis and the elimination of excess fluid. The saccharides contained in the gel form a protective barrier inside the intestine, preventing the absorption of harmful substances.
- It is digestive and laxative, it stimulates the bacterial flora, promotes the elimination of waste and facilitates the absorption of nutrients in the intestine.
- It is energizing.
- It is immunizing. It has antiviral, anti-inflammatory and anti-tumour properties. It acts as a regulator in case of allergies and rheumatological diseases of autoimmune origin.
- It heals and increases cell regeneration.
- It coagulates, repairs tissues and accelerates healing.
- It is soothing, relieves burns caused by fire or the sun, but also those caused by insect bites.
1. It can be applied to the scalp by massaging well for fifteen minutes before washing the hair. This helps invigorate the hair making it healthier, softer and shinier.
2. Two tablespoons of the gel to drink before meals is sufficient for gastritis and stomach acid.
3. For rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis, three or four tablespoons of the gel in the morning and evening is used for pain relief.
4. Ideal for colitis and inflammatory conditions of the colon. Two tablespoons are sufficient before meals.
5. It is very effective for inflammation of the gums or Candida.
6. It heals and disinfects pimples, acne and dermatitis in general.
7. Very suitable for herpes Zoster (commonly called shingles) thanks to its excellent coagulating power.
8. With two tablespoons of pure gel per day, symptoms of menopause are reduced.
9. Onychosis (nail damage) can be treated with ointments with high concentration of Aloe Vera.
10. For psoriasis, two tablespoons of the gel are needed twice a day in combination with a high concentration cream to spread over the affected area.
11. Bedsores can also be treated several times a day, always with a high concentration cream.
12. It is an excellent moisturizer for the face and body.
13. Regulates constipation problems.
14. Contrasts the redness and itching of insect bites in adults and children.
15. This is an excellent remedy for dandruff: a half hour pack is enough to prevent the problem.
16. It is an excellent hand sanitizer.
17. It is a real mine of vitamins (A, C, E, B1, B2, B3 and B12)
18. Contains antioxidant vitamins and amino acids that fight free radicals.
19. It protects the body from viral infections in colds, lowers fever, fights bronchitis, herpes and recurrent infections.
20. It is extremely useful for patients with HIV and leukaemia as it restores the balance of T and B lymphocytes.
There are many types of Aloe Vera products on the market:
– Pure gel that exerts a moisturizing, restorative, soothing and refreshing action for reddened, burnt or irritated skin.
– Capsules rich in minerals, mucopolysaccharides and vitamins.
– Lip stick that deeply nourishes the lips.
– Aloe Vera juice has a protective action on the digestive system and has an antioxidant and purifying function.
Aloe Vera gel can have contraindications if obtained with home methods as it is difficult to purge it especially from aloin, an irritant component if taken in excessive doses and which can cause laxative effects and abdominal cramps. The latter in pregnancy can be confused with contractions causing suffering to the foetus.
It is also not recommended for people with diabetes because it seems to be able to lower blood sugar and its action would add to that of hypoglycaemic drugs.